Saturday, July 5, 2008

Casket Dimension Info



I'd like to amend my comments below in the more clear light of several days later. I don't want to have anyone head into a project like this at a difficult time without knowing that it's a big one that you probably can't complete without considerable experienced help. Looking back and talking with my two sons who helped me and guestimating how much time my other employees spent, I have to say that it probably took between 80 and 90 manhours total. Of course if you eliminate the quilt inlay and buy the hardware rather then making your own, and do a simpler finish, you could probably halve that effort. Still, it's a great thing to do, but not something to be undertaken lightly. My original post is below, written on the day before we actually finished. I don't regret a second of it ......

This is something you too can do. I've done it twice now and it feels like you're accepting the death but also doing something about it. No matter what the funeral directors say, there's a law that says they have to use what you give them if it fits in the vault .... I had trouble getting construction information on short notice so here's some help if you find yourself in the same situation. Inside dimensions of my mother's casket are , 22 x 73 x 12.5 .. industry standard vault dimensions into which it must fit are, I believe, 84L x 28 W x 23 H ...Design backwards from the outside in. Rule of thumb is four inches wider and 5 inches longer then the person. The hardware has to fold probably ... Please check with your funeral director to confirm dimensions. Keep it simple ...

1 comment:

jtaylor said...

Thanks for the photos of this work. It looks like there is a top stretcher bar not quite in the middle. Did you leave this in the finished casket? I am making my casket and this blog has been so helpful. Thank you.

Jodi