Friday, December 4, 2009

The Real Ladderback Prototype


It's actually astonishing to me how much time and effort it takes to get a (sort of) new chair design into the production mode ... I have made more than a thousand chairs, probably more like 1500, over the last 30 years and if they're not Windsors (one of my bread and butter items starting out) they're not easy. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... Chairs are sculptures. They have to be comfortable, they have to stay together over time, people have to be able to lean back in them, stand on them, throw them .... the whole deal ... Anyway ... This is I think the 4th edition of this 'new' design and it's the real thing ... We're pleased with it .. it's light, it's comfortable, it's relatively straightforward to build and it passes the 'looks good from all directions test'. Click the pictures to enlarge them ... I really need to put it at a table rather than up on a workbench ...

Hopefully I'll get some finish on it this weekend and get it to New York City

The black one is one of my first 'square' chairs from the late 80's..definitely not a comfortable as the new ladderback

rear silhouette

side view

comparison view

We did a little work on the ladderback prototype (see previous post) at the very end of the day today ... made four rough new smaller, thinner spindles and we think they can be just a shade more delicate yet ... The prototype is definitely more comfortable with the splats closer together ... We're considering lowering the whole chair back from 40" where it is now to maybe 38.5", taller than the "windsor" metal chair at 36.5". Lowering all four as a group will make the negative space between the top of the seat and the bottom of the bottom slat just a bit less empty looking ... It's just a thought and we'll await client input. I'll photograph it this weekend at a table too ... One of us actually likes the 'tallness' of it.... We'll see ... happy halloween .. !!

No comments: