Wednesday, November 2, 2011

four years of blogging

well, what to make of four years of sporadic writing? i'm not famous, i'm not richer, except in the experience of writing, at which i have gotten vastly more comfortable as a process, and i still don't really understand exactly why i do it. part of it is for my boys, sam and will, who if they want to continue this business will have a visual and verbal record of our processes: the processes of design, visualization, method discovery and a written record of how we built stuff to go with it. i also enjoy the comments and interactions with my readers, and the surprising amount of new work that we get that is a direct result of our blog and website. for the first time this year, slightly more than half of our new work came from the internet rather than from our existing client base. i think it's the stories and the visual depiction of the pieces, from drawing to completion, that validate what we do. click the stuff below to see the statistics ...
and, people read the thing ... people i don't know ... (395,000 page views? hard to imagine)
from places i'll never visit ... ( 168 countries? who knew? ) spreading the word ... make something .... wood, metal, pottery, art, jewelry ... the process is the same and the rewards are the same. a psychological bonus we don't often get from paying bills, shuffling papers or raking the yard. it's been great ! thanks for reading; feel free to comment or question ... 500+ posts down (wow, if i do say so myself) more to come ... enjoy ... for other anniversary posts, visit this one from last year with links to the others ... check it out ..

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hi, i'm from Russia. I'm not a cool woodworker as you, but someday... I like your blog, very smart and amazing ideas, very high craftsmanship. I reading all posts and i enjoy foto, ideas, furniture. Keep writing.

Brian Q said...

Keep up the excellent work Dan! Your blog first helped me in my quest for woodworking knowledge. Then as the months and then years went by I realized that you have something most will never have. The ability to make a living with those you love doing something you love. I'm sure I speak for the majority when I say...... we appreciate your craftsmanship and work and look forward to reading t his blog for another 4 years. Regards.

Jason Herrick said...

Congrats on 4 years. I'm not surprised at all. You inspire me each and every time I read a post. Keep it up! Cheers

Jeff Branch said...

Congrats from me too. I've been at it for three and your stats kill mine.