Sunday, October 18, 2009
Update on the 'This Old House' Project
We're working away pretty steadily on the house restoration project . We finished construction of the wall hung tv cabinet this week; we're just waiting for approval of the finish color samples. I think we're running slightly ahead of the construction schedule which is always nice. The cabinet below has it's challenges though it looks simple now that it's done. It's a mix of cherry and curly maple with some small moldings in cherry or walnut around the door panels. The door and end panels are resawn solid curly maple so we like to do the first coat of stain (which is pretty much always the same) before we glue them up. Then we typically get the finished color and first coat of finish on the whole door before we apply the moldings. This process prevents a part of the panel that might be unfinished from showing later as the wood moves from season to season ...
Looks simple ... but, there's actually no real much structure to the cabinet so we had to hang it as it's going to hang on the wall to be sure that the doors will hang true.
When we went to the site this week, we took a pattern. There is a channel cut through to the wall behind the cabinet to accomodate the cable box, which is deeper than the cabinet .. We explored the wall behind and found there are two studs that have to be cut and headed off ... not surre about the ebox shown below ... I'd like to get that in there somewhere ..
This shows the cut through to the wall and the tv mounting bracket. It a Sanus; a nice one. Very shallow and well made
This picture shows the French hook hanging system ... Two cleats on the cabinet; two on the wall.
The electrician gave us this box on Wednesday and hoped we could get it in the cabinet behind to the tv ... hmmmmm
We finished installing the moldings and painted the front door .. The paint seemed too shiny for an old door to us. The shinier the finish, the better the UV protection, but the more you see each and every pimple and defect ... We turned the final coat over to the painters and it will probably be a compromise satin finish ...
Part of our scope of work is to refresh/refinish the fireplace surround (which Jim has already done), and install a new lighted cabinet in place of the wooodbox/shelf thing that's there now ...
Trevor, exploring the lighting
Figured out .. This stuff is nice. The plastic tracks are easy to install and hold the lights securely. It's easy to cut and join once you study it for a minute ..
Rough wired and installed ..needs a top molding and some final paint
We also made a pair of 3" thick, well insulated, pine doors for the utility room. Sam made the hinges, floor bolts and a nice thumb latch ...
Inside latch details
Fixed door bolts
2" thick pine frames covered with 3/4" t&g pine outside, the spaces filled with 2" foam and 1/4" Baltic bircg glued and screwed to the inside
We also installed a small cabinet in the library under the stairs that go to the attic ...
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment