Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Design Library


One of my readers emailed to ask what resources I use for my designs ... A while back, the local bookstore , one of the largest and best independent book stores in the country, was considering doing a feature on artist's libraries on their website and I sent them a few pictures. They never got around to doing it that I know of, but I still have the pictures. They're not the best or sharpest photos, but they'll give you some idea of the reference books we have accumulated over the years. It helped that we did a major renovation project there in the late 80's and I kind of stocked up then ... I have identified the ones I go back to over and over with 1, 2 or 3 dots with 3 being the 'best'. More titles have been added since the photos. I'm kind of a book junky ... Click the photos to read the titles ...

Best of the best here are the 'Foxfire' books for old time stuff, 'The Encylopedia of Furniture Making' and 'Cabinetmaking' by Fierer

If you blow this up you can read most of the dotted titles. Looks like I missed the pair of blue books in the lower right .. very important ... Wallace Nutting Furniture Treasury ... Out of print, I believe

Hmmm .. Nutting did get dotted in this photo .. Also lots of other good ones to the right ... Greene and Greene .. Nakashima, Carribean Style .. they're all good

'The Artist in His Studio ... The importance of a good workspace for creativity to flow .. josef Albers on color theory ... 'Perspective Made Easy' ... That's an $8. winner ...

The "art" books ... You can't have too many .. Watch for sales
I would be interested in hearing of your favorites ... Leave them in the comments below ... Thanks ...

2 comments:

Jeff Branch said...

Your design library is a little more extensive than mine :).

home office furniture said...

Amazing concept, usually I won't post but your blog is an idea, and has the work behind it.