Thursday, May 20, 2010

'State of Craft 2010' ... Goodwood Lane

I had sort of a revelation this morning. It was related to the show that opens Saturday at the Bennington Museum ... State of Craft 2010 ... 50 Years of Craft in Vermont. I realized I have been nosing around the crafts scene here for almost 40 of those years .... Kit and I lived in The Wall Family Gallery building in Manchester, starting in September 1971. The Wall Family Gallery was basically a pottery studio, run by husband and wife, Beriah Wall and Janice Farley... our age, more or less .... We still see them when they come to town ....Kit traded batches of chocolate chip cookies for pottery .... You get the idea ....

Starting in 1972, I worked for Beriah's brother who had a landscaping business and he introduced me to carpentry ... Time went on; we built a house, in our 'spare' time, pretty much every nail and slate, in 1974; after that I worked for a (much) more professional carpenter; we started a furniture business in 1980. Talk about clueless.
The 1974 house ... The shop at the old house where we worked until 1999 ...

Now, 30 years later, what have we got and where are we???? Almost 40 years in the same geographic area, lots of regular friends, unbelievably interesting clients/friends, a great shop, a great place to live, fantastic gardens by Kit, two great and talented kids working with us, beautiful gardens, a little time for golf and tennis ... What more could a person ask for? I'd say the 'State of Craft' on Goodwood Lane is pretty good right now and I can't imagine where I would be if I had stuck with that sales job I took after college in 1970. I realized this morning I have to occasionally stop and appreciate how lucky I've been to have been involved with the 'State of Craft' ... It's been a good 'state' for me ....
The boys working on the duck bed
This morning 7:00am

1 comment:

Mary said...

Nice pictures! And the place is beautiful too.

Holidays in Dorset